Most of our stuff was in a self storage facility near our old house. And by facility, I mean three self storage units with a total of 275 square feet. The monthly period would have renewed tomorrow, so I was motivated to get as much out of storage as possible before the renewal happened. I took the day off work on Friday and rented a UHaul truck, picking it up on Thursday evening for a 24 hour rental. Since the prices were all pretty much the same, I rented the largest truck (I think it was a 26′ unit). And here it is, at the self storage place ready for loading.
Renting the hand cart (I was going to borrow one from work, but had forgotten, and there was no time to make that extra side trip, so I happily paid the $7 rental) was the best thing that I did. The other best thing was the guy (a friendly young chap named Christian) at Wendy’s gave me the largest cup they had when I got ice water with my meal.
In short, I was able to get everything out of the storage units and got the truck back with a whopping 9 minutes to spare before getting charged for an extra day. Between the rental and the gas charge it cost $160.00 for the day – so if you ever rent a UHaul understand that the mileage charge (69 cents per mile) and the gas it burns (I know it was the biggest truck, but it cost over 50 cents per mile with gas at $3.25) will far outstrip the daily rental charge. The worst mistake was that I had forgotten my work gloves at home (again not worth the extra trip at $1.20 per mile), so my hands were a little tender by the end.
I was very tired by the end of the day. This morning, some friends from work came by for a couple of hours and moved boxes with abandon. Here are some room pictures as things currently stand.
Pretty much everything on the utility side has worked out and is in place. AT&T setup our phone and Internet service this afternoon. Now all I have to do is find the phones. The only exception is the natural gas company. Mi had filled out their start service form a couple of weeks back, only to get an email on Wednesday that they couldn’t find that address, so please get the meter number and resubmit. So, I came to the house Wednesday night, wrote down the meter number and resubmitted. The gas guy showed up this afternoon to turn off the gas. I resubmitted the form again (after he pointed out which of the three numbers on the meter it was, and behold I had submitted the wrong number), so I’m currently without use of the BBQ, gas stovetop, and hot water heater (which is going to make for short showers, I guess).